Jun 24, 2007

Damn! Why did it have to be the brother?

I have been closely following the now tragic story of Jessie Davis. She was an expectant mother who went missing from her home in North Canton, Ohio almost two weeks ago. Yesterday, the search for Davis came to a dismal ending, as far too many of these incidences do. My heart goes out to her family and friends.

In the days leading up to her discovery, there was talk surrounding her ex-boyfriend and father of both her two year old son and the child she was carrying, Bobby Cutts, Jr. Although, the police never named him as a suspect, immediately the media and eventually Davis' family suspected that Cutts was possibly being linked to her disappearance. This caught my attention for two reasons. The first reason was that Cutts appears to be black (Davis, white). Secondly, no one ever gave a reason as to why there was suspicion surrounding Cutts.

I felt the media was trying to sensationalize this story for all it was worth. White mother missing implies black boyfriend suspect. It reeked of racial bias, and it got me up in arms! A big thumbs down to CNN! What happened to fair and balanced? Even with the public eye casting its judgment, my silent mantra was, "Please don't let it be the brother."

I have found myself singing this same tune in the past. In 2002 when the snipers were creating havoc in the D.C. area, I had several conversations with other black folk containing utterances like, "Well, the killer is definitely not black," and "'We' don't do that kind of thing (yes, we prefer much more senseless and less calculated acts of violence, but of course, I digress)." As it turned out, "we" do. More recently, before he was identified, I had hoped that the VA Tech shooter was not black, and I know I was not alone in this feeling.

It seems that people never want to claim the bad guy. This denial ranges from Muslims turning their collective backs on extremists to the father who says that the wayward child gets his shortcomings from his mother's side of the family. However, among groups which have been marginalized by mainstream society, this type of disownership can be more prominent in an attempt to fit in. I was hoping that it wasn't the black guy because of how the majority would see the situation. Undoubtedly, there will be those who will shake their heads and say that this is just another reason to keep your white daughters from dating black men (nod to OJ). Race relations in America are bad enough without a high profile racially charged murder case, but this assessment is incorrect in my opinion. The bottom line is this: tragedies sometimes happen to good people and psychopaths come in all shades. But something inside me was hoping against hope that it wasn't the brother. I know it wasn't logical. I can admit that was purely emotional, but I just didn't want this to turn out as another story of black man's life down the toilet (he flushed it himself, mind you), another black child fatherless--and motherless, for that matter.

As everyone knows by now, it appears that Cutts was involved in Davis' and her unborn child's murder. I want to be clear: if he is guilty, I hope that he is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, for the blame lies with him. If he is not guilty, I hope that he can somehow lead a normal life with time.

3 comments:

G'Angelo said...

Excellent post.

This is a tragic situation for everyone that's involved. I too, have been guilty of "racial reasoning" in situations like these. I might think to myself "gee, I hope that the perpetrator is not Black." But let's suppose that my wish came true. Does that really make the situation any better? Perhaps this type of reasoning is selfish. Here I am worrying about how this event may change other people's perception of me as an African American when someone else is no longer with us. But I guess that is just human nature.

I think that the best that we can do as African Americans is to not worry about how these negative actions will reflect on us as individuals. For one, there is little that we can do as individuals to prevent situations like this from ever occurring. Second, the type of person who would use an event like this to prejudge an entire race would probably have the same perception regardless.

Anonymous said...

I agree, g'angelo. I haven't watched any commentary, but have definitely heard comments from friends and from people who talk too loud when they should be doing their job on the register in the food court. (I digress, but black folks, let get it together!) Also, I'm thinking why do these types of story get so much attention? I'm sure if the races of the parties involved were flipped, the story probably would not be blasted all over CNN and other places. In an opposite way, don't you find yourselves rooting for the black team/individual to win on game shows or in sporting events or Eleanor, women in male-dominated situations? I believe its the same concept, yet in reverse.
~Erica (Midl Chile)

Anonymous said...

Midl Child makes a very good point. We can not deny the sense of pride or delight we get when "one of our own" does something positive. So how can we not cringe at the thought of the converse happening? Most races identify, socialize and support each other. We as a people need more unity, if you ask me. I don't think there is anything wrong with interacial dating, or the merging of two cultures (because it worked successfully in my family). What I do have a problem with is certain generalizations and the reasoning behing some of these couples. Bottom line, I was thinking the same thing Millie! Please don't let it be the black man...And it was.